Friday, September 15, 2006

Two posts in one day

You cannot believe the rain here - here is what the Emergency Weather bulletin had to say about it .....


* AT 755 PM EDT.NATL WEATHER SVC DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE VERY HEAVY RAIN FALLING OVER PARTS OF THE NO. & SOUTH
FORKS OF SUFFOLK COUNTY. LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORTED
FLASH FLOODING OF NUMEROUS ROADWAYS. ANYWHERE BETWEEN 5 TO 8
INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN OVER THESE AREAS TODAY.MOSTLY IN THE
LAST 4 TO 6 HRS. ANOTHER 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED TO
FALL THROUGH 930 PM.WITH
THE HEAVIEST EXPECTED TO FALL BETWEEN JAMESPORT & CUTCHOGUE ON
THE NO. FORK & BETWEEN HAMPTON BAYS & SOUTHAMPTON ON THE
SO. FORK. THE RAIN SHOULD BEGIN TO TAPER OFF FROM EAST TO WEST
AROUND 9 PM. UNTIL THEN.SEVERE FLASH FLOODING WILL
CONTINUE.WITH ROADS BEING WASHED OUT.

There was a house fire earlier - many lightening strikes and now the fire department is out rescuing people from cars that are stranded in puddles and evacuating people from houses that are not passable to cars - so the brush trucks will bring people out.

And I had to go out in it again LOL A fireman had picked his daughter up at the Rail Road station - and just then the house fire call came in he went to the fire house that was closest but since his truck was a stick she couldn't drive it home so DH called to see if I could bring her to her house -- Thank God I have a Tahoe - I went slow and made it ok but regular cars would have had water coming inside because the water on the roads was so high. So once again I was soaked LOL

Never a dull moment ;) And once again I am happy to live on a hill....

6 comments:

Fiberjoy said...

I LOVE the new look of your blog!!!!

What a storm. That is a lot of rain to descend in such a short amount of time.

Jo said...

Gosh, Rho, I thought we had the monopoly on rain! I now realise we just get your leavin's here in Ireland, isn't that so? Why didn't we get to see the baby fire truck? PICTURES, we want PICTURES.

Jo
http://celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

Trish said...

Keep that powder dry baby! :-)

Jane said...

I made it out just in time, I see! Watch, it'll probably rain again when I come home...

I'm glad I got to check in, though!

snazzi said...

That rain was something else! There's a gravel drivway behind my house, and there was a very large lake in its place! And the dogs, my mother's dog hates the rain and refuses to go, we have to carry him out!

angie cox said...

Glad you are safe..Mumtells me there were floods every winter when she was littel.We live on a hill too.